The central goal of undertaking community policing by Nadia District Police is to build relationships with the community through interactions with local agencies and members of the public, creating partnerships and strategies for reducing crime and disorder.
Community policing is, in essence, a collaboration between the police and the community that identifies and solves community problems. With the police no longer the sole guardians of law and order, all members of the community become active allies in the effort to enhance the safety and quality of neighborhoods. Community policing has far-reaching implications.
The various community development projects being undertaken by Nadia District include:
- Clean and Green – Since 19.07.2018 till date, Nadia District Police has undertaken “Clean and Green” initiative as directed by DG & IGP West Bengal. The programmes conducted had participation of various stakeholders including police personnel, schools children, hospital staff, NGOs, etc. Various buildings/premises were cleaned under this program and saplings were planted. The program saw immense participation from police personnel of all ranks including supervisory officers. The involvement of general public from the community in the same has also led to strengthening the police-public relation.
- Awareness camps at PS level:
- School visit by OCs – Various schools are being visited by OCs and other officers within their PS jurisdiction and the schoolchildren, especially females to raise awareness about various issues like health, trafficking, traffic awareness, etc.
- Social Media Awareness Camp – This program is being held in various schools/colleges where the students are made aware of the pros and cons of social media and how to remain safe in the digital world.
- Awareness on Fake Sims
- Annual Sports – This event is held yearly with the involvement and participation of local clubs wherein various sports tournaments are held. The 2 Women PS of the district also organize women-only tournaments and attract large participation.
- Swayamsiddha – This program is an anti-women trafficking program held regularly at PS level wherein a Swayamsiddha group is formed at school level consisting of police personnel, school faculty and school-children. This program has been effective in reducing kidnapping cases due to love affairs and also prevention of child marriages.
- Sukanya program – This Self Defense program is being done by the 2 Women PS of the district wherein female students of various schools are taught self-defense techniques.
- Safe Drive Save Life – This flagship program of the WB government is being undertaken to increase traffic awareness and enforcement and hence reduce the number of accidents and fatalities.
- Utsarga (Blood Donation) – This program is being conducted every month in various PSs (2-3 monthly) of the district.
- Camps and Seminars on Drug Abuse – It is being held to raise awareness regarding substance abuse and cut the demand side. It included involvement of Police, Civil Administration, Hospital Staff and NGOs.
- Tree Plantation – This is being done in every month all around the year for
contribution towards the environment.
- Health check-up – Free health check-up is being organized in various PSs wherein anybody can come up and get a body check-up. Special focus is there on eye checkup of drivers.
- Further de-addiction program with the help of NGOs – This is being planned to reduce the problem of substance abuse since it affects all the family members of the victim and not only the victim itself.
- English language coaching with the help of English Medium Schools.
- Police Station visit by school-children – This is to ensure that young minds understand the working of a PS and also motivate them to join the police service in future.