The Government of West Bengal is committed towards more road safety. The recent initiative put forward by Hon’ble Chief Minister of West Bengal Smt. Mamata Banerjee to increase public awareness through ‘Safe Drive Save Life’ campaign with a goal to substantially decrease road accidents in the state ot West Bengal has received widespread recognition to translate this version into reality.
Nadia District is an accident prone district due to its topography, bad road condition and also for single lane on NH – 34. Besides, last year saw the renovation of the Krishnagar to Berhampore National Highway by NHAI under Phase II of repairing of NH.
In the year 2016, total 761 accidents took place and 360 casualties happened due to those accidents. In the year 2017, total 502 accidents took place and 274 casualties in this district. In the year 2018 up to June, total 214 accidents took place and 107 casualties in this district. This is a reduction of 34% in number of accidents and 24% in number of fatalities in 2017 and in 2018 up to June reduction of 17.69 % in number of accident and 29.60 in casualties.
NH34 passes through the entire Nadia district and is 117 km length. It starts from Jaguly under PS Haringhata to Mira Plassey under PS Kaliganj. On NH-34, there are 08 Police Stations.
SH-8, SH-14& SH-11 are also present in the district and are a total of 159 km in length.
A total of 478 km of other roads are also present in this District.
Safe Drive Save Life
This district had great achievements after the launching of Safe Drive Save Life. After inauguration of SDSL programme by the Hon’ble CM West Bengal in the year 2016, implementation in missionmode in Nadia District led to significant reduction in deaths as well as number of accidents.
The implementation consisted of 2 parts:
- Awareness & Sensitisation – It consisted of awareness campaigns, meetings with stakeholders including SDO, NHAI, PWD, various unions, etc, taking out a SDSL tableau in all PS areas, etc.
- Enforcement – It consisted of enforcing the laws against the traffic violators by means of issuing prosecutions and starting specific cases.
The steps taken by Nadia District Police included:
- Survey of NH
- Regular review of traffic statistics and plan of action
- Community Policing and Awareness Campaigns including:
- Awareness programmes
- Medical checkups
- Road shows
- Meetings with truck/bus/toto unions.
- Specific cases and prosecutions against dangerous/rash/drunken driving
- Personal attention to accident spots by senior officers.
- Improvement in Traffic infrastructure
- Regular Naka checking
- Sensitisation of truck drivers at Dhabas through posters telling them what practices to follow and what to avoid.
- Proper training and briefing of traffic personnel.
- Hospitalisation of accident victims in ambulance.
- Ambulance was put in the strategic points for helping the general people to save life in golden hrs. One ambulance each was placed in each sub-division for helping the accident victims.
- NO HELMET NO PETROL
- This mission was successfully introduced in district and sensitisation of the the petrol pump owners about the matter was done. A strict vigil was kept on it by local Police Stations to ensure its implementation.
- Awareness campaigns during various festivals
- During Durgapuja Festival 2016 & 2017 and on other occasions LocalClubs / organisers were encouragedfor taking participation in SDSL Campaigning. During Durga Puja the campaigning was made in three categories, 1, Theme on SDSL, 2. Theme on Display on SDSL, 3. Theme on Awareness campaigning on SDSL. In each category the best performing club / organizer was awarded by Nadia District Police.
- Rewarding the good drivers
- Data monitoring and analysis
- Installation of various signages
- Written advisories were given to Schools / Colleges, Clubs etc to not take out picnic during night hours till morning.
- Regular Road Safety Committee meetings are being held.